See blue glass beads on the lower left here. This is proving challenging, as I know nothing about beads and would not be able to tell an antique from a fake made yesterday. The description bills them as a necklace, but they're currently strung on a thick wire and would not be wearable as is, plus during this era they might have been "trade beads." Each bead is about 2cm, spheroid, and opaque (not translucent).
Here's what I have so far:
Venetian trade beads. Venice was a big producer. Some similar beads can be seen on a few of these strings, however, it seems that for the most part Venice produced less plain-looking beads.
Peaking beads/padre beads. These seem to have a long and widespread history but I'm having difficulty finding stuff about them from a reputable source. Here is the best I could find: National Music Museum (U of S. Dakota); beads pictured as flute decoration.
Donkey beads (British Museum). I found that the notes from one of the unfinished inventories of the collection lists these as "donkey beads." Based on what I've been able to find about them so far, I have my doubts. The shape and finish don't look the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment