Friday, February 28, 2014

Auction catalogue - Butterfield & Butterfield | Natural History | 1998

I was inordinately pleased to pull this catalogue out of my randomly selected envelope.  The first thing I ever remember wanting to be as a child was a paleontologist.  Dr. C was talking about conflicts of interest, and, after practically salivating on the catalogue, I definitely understand why this could be an issue. ;)

Butterfield & Butterfield, "Fine Art Auctioneers and Appraisers since 1865," held their first natural history auction in May, 1998.  San Francisco branch director David Herskowitz said on the inside cover of the catalogue, "I tried to choose the very finest specimens available, hand selected from private collections as well as from the property of field collectors. [...] We are offering a truly comprehensive group of specimens..."  Indeed they did.  Lots included fossils, minerals, meteorites, amberized organisms, skeletons, shells, coral, and the occasional projectile point.  Here are some interesting lots:

7198 (pictured above): Meteorite from Australia, "the prized showpiece of the Macovich Collection." Est. 150,000-200,000.

7216: Coprolite. Miocene.  "Measuring 11.75", clearly showing the muscular striations." (They are not kidding.  I'll spare you the image.)  Est. 500-650.

7222: Walrus baculum (look it up if you really want to know, which you quite possibly do not).  Pleistocene.  Est. 350-550.

7243: Articulated Mosasaur skeleton.  Upper Cretaceous.  20.5' long (!!).  Est. 40,000-60,000.

7317 (pictured at left): Agatized Rapana vaquerosensis.  Miocene.  Est. 450-650.

7319 (pictured at right, bottom): Ammonite and orthoceros plate.  Devonian.  23"x23".  Est. 700-900.  (My favorite item in the catalogue.)

7321 (pictured at right, top): Orthoceros plate.  Ordovician.  36.5"x26".  Est. 800-1200.









No comments:

Post a Comment