I've become enamored of Dr. C's mention that we could use real ponderosa
to represent Amos Beardsley Jr. I found these in our very own charming
arboretum on campus, using the arboretum index and map. Now that I can
ID the tree, I will be on the lookout for others around campus.
Beware, the ponderosa cone comes equipped with spikes. So does the
similar-looking Jeffrey pine cone, but those spikes point harmlessly
downward. The classic mnemonic is "gentle Jeffrey, prickly Ponderosa."
Junior. Named after Amos Beardsley, Jr. (not Sr.-- I know; hard to unlearn once it's filed away in the brain). Look at this (I hope the URL Holds). http://books.google.com/books?id=thmPzIltAV8C&lpg=PA58&ots=9Fv2cKg7O5&dq=Amos%20F%20Beardsley%20botanist&pg=PA58#v=onepage&q=Amos%20F%20Beardsley%20botanist&f=false
Thank you, I've corrected the entry. I really ought to know better by now, considering my admiration of the Amoses...Amosi...Amoseaux, or however one pluralizes "Amos".
Junior. Named after Amos Beardsley, Jr. (not Sr.-- I know; hard to unlearn once it's filed away in the brain). Look at this (I hope the URL Holds).
ReplyDeletehttp://books.google.com/books?id=thmPzIltAV8C&lpg=PA58&ots=9Fv2cKg7O5&dq=Amos%20F%20Beardsley%20botanist&pg=PA58#v=onepage&q=Amos%20F%20Beardsley%20botanist&f=false
Thank you, I've corrected the entry. I really ought to know better by now, considering my admiration of the Amoses...Amosi...Amoseaux, or however one pluralizes "Amos".
ReplyDelete