Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Amos Foster Beardsley pine

So if this exact info was already discovered by Carrie or Dr. C, I seem to have missed it in the overwhelming bounty of links and zipfiles.  I google searched "beardsleyi" until I found Proceedings of the Edinburgh Botanical Society, Feb, 1855.

Pinus beardsleyi, in the present day is classed as a variety or subspecies of Pinus ponderosa, and is considered synonymous with Pinus benthamiana.  Amos Foster is our George's father.

Image:Young P. benthamiana/beardsleyi, wikimedia.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! A new reference for it. I knew about the pine, but not that it was a subspecies of Ponderosa. Did you see the google books snip I sent across in the zipfile that lists his father (a British physician and botanist) and then his son (George's dad), the latter listing including ref to this pine? They were both Amos Foster Beardsleys, and the snip (I think it was from an old reference to English and Scottish botanists) tells that the younger one collected seeds all over Napa and apparently sent them back home. Scotland was such an important center of enlightenment, scholarly societies (associated with natural history collecting) and museum development during this period. I'm so pleased that you found another source!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yeah, I did find that one in the zipfile, and it's one of the ones I saved to my Parallel Lives collection for future reference, but at the time I was looking for birthdates for Amos and Amos Foster (Amos Foster II?? I know we've been referring to dad as A.F. and granddad as Amos). So when it didn't have their birthdays, I kind of growled and went on to the next picture. =)

      Delete
  2. Yep! I have an ecologist friend of mine looking for AFB in her resources to see if we can find out any more info on him and his botanical importance. Good Stuff!

    I have the reference Dr. C is mentioning as a link within one of my blog posts that I put up a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete